BUILDING & STANDARDS COMMISSION
Wednesday, July 27, 2022
FIRST FLOOR OF CITY HALL
7008 S. RICE AVENUE
BELLAIRE, TX 77401
Dan R. Collins
REGULAR SESSION - 7:00 P.M.
Call to Order - Christina Stone, Chair.
Announcement of a Quorum - Christina Stone, Chair.
Rules for Public Comment
1. Sign up forms will be available at all Regular and Special meetings for registering the names of members of the Public who wish to either: i) speak on an agenda item, provided such items have not been the subject of a prior public hearing; or ii) make a general comment related to the Commission business. These forms will be given to the Secretary prior to the start of the meeting so that the person's name can be called to address the Commission at the appropriate time.
2. Public Comments on agenda items will be made at the time an agenda item appears in the Order of Business and before the Commission's consideration of that item.
3. Public Comments of a general nature shall be made at the time designated by the Order of Business.
4. All public comments shall be limited to six (6) minutes per speaker with extensions of two (2) minute increments as approved by a majority vote of Commission members present.
5. Public Comment at Workshop meetings will be allowed at the discretion of the Chair. Any comments will be limited as described in Article IV Sec 8.
Approval or Correction of the Minutes
Consideration of and the possible action on the approval of the minutes of the Regular Session of the Building and Standards Commission of the City of Bellaire, Texas, held on Wednesday, June 22, 2022.
Building _ Standards Commission - June 22 2022 - Draft Minutes
Unfinished Business, Communications and Reports.
Consideration of about amending Chapter 9, Buildings, Article I, In General, Section 9-5, Duty of Contractors and other Persons Performing Construction Work within the City, of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Bellaire, Texas, for the purpose of requiring enhanced jobsite maintenance requirements - Submitted by Christian Somers, Interim Assistant Director of Development Services, Building Official and Floodplain Manager.
Discussion about amending Chapter 9, Buildings, Article II, Building Codes, Division 1, Generally, Section 9-18, Drainage Requirements for Residential Construction, of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Bellaire, Texas, for the purpose of clarifying and aligning design criteria, adding additional definitions and raising the freeboard height - Submitted by Christian Somers, Interim Assistant Director of Development Services, Building Official and Floodplain Manager.
Discussions about amending Chapter 9, Buildings, Article II-A, Flood Damage Prevention, Division 5, Provisions for Flood Hazard Reduction, of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Bellaire, Texas, for the purpose of clarifying and aligning design criteria, raising the freeboard height – while controlling the height of equipment for sound attenuation purposes – requiring Elevation Certificates, for all areas, and all phases of the development and construction process - Submitted by Christian Somers, Interim Assistant Director of Development Services, Building Official and Floodplain Manager.
Discussion and consideration of adopting of the the 2021 International Building Codes. - Submitted by Stephen Redding, Building and Standards Commissioner.
Swearing in of New Commissioners (incoming Commission assumes duties and outgoing Commission retires).
Introduction of Incoming Commissioners
Election of Chair and Vice Chair
City Council Liaison Report - Jim Hotze, Council Member
Report from Christian Somers, CFM, Interim Assistant Director of Development Services, Building Official, and Floodplain Manager.
Reports of Committees, Communications, and Staff Other than the Building Official
Communications to Commission Members Outside of Posted Meetings
Reports from Staff Other than the Building Official
The Chair shall recognize any Commissioner who wishes to bring New Business to the attention of the Commission. Consideration of New Business shall be for the limited purpose of determining whether the matter is appropriate for inclusion on a future agenda of the Commission or referral to Staff for investigation.
Discussion about amending Chapter 9, Buildings, Article XI, Trees, of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Bellaire, Texas, for the purpose of enhancing tree protection criteria – as requested by the Environmental Sustainability Board. – Submitted by Elan Tavor, Former Vice Chair, Environmental Sustainability Board.
Announcements and Comments by Commissioners
City of Bellaire Texas